Total Pageviews

Friday, April 30, 2010

You know James but do you know Livingston?

"I've seen fire and I've seen rain".

These lyrics, I'm sure, are familiar. Classic, poignant, pictoral. James Taylor. As I have decided to expand my sound and begin to really try and develop my own acoustic style, I have been listening to more and more classic artists like him. I always knew he was a great, but like many of greats I have not yet gotten into, I simply didn't listen enough to become a fan. Well, after about 30 repeats of his "Best Of" CD I can assuredly say I am a convert. Before I was never crazy about his voice, but now that I have really listened to him, I am astounded by his smooth copper tambour, with an earnestness that makes you swear he's personally telling you a story. His guitar playing? Forget about it. He's an alchemist; a player that simply transforms pictures and feelings into the surrounding air with nothing but the grace of his hands and the steel on the fretboard. Every song is a world of its own, an entire chapter of descriptive detail with only a few words. A few of my personal favorites are: "Copperline", "Walkin' Man" and "Don't Let me be Lonely Tonight". But no no, James isnt the only one who can draw you into his world with only a single sentence.

He has a brother, Livingston, who is every bit as good! He even looks similar to James...but also bears an uncanny resemblance to Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith from "The Matrix" see for yourself:


























See? Maybe its just me....anyways,

Livingston was one of my teachers while I was at Berklee. He taught a stage performance class that was absolutely invaluable. Im still trying to master everything we learned in that class. See, playing for people isnt just going up and playing some songs and looking down at the guitar. You need to engage your audience; play TO them not just at them, make eye contact, smile, emote, believe the lyrics you sing...all while thumping your foot in time. Sound hard? It is. One of his many creeds was "Dont make your audience come to you, go to them!" Some people are so talented and attractive that people will walk over broken glass to get to them...they can start at the floor and play selfishly and people will sit on edge, eyes fixed on them, for hours. 99% are not like this. Don't count on being one, because you probably are not. Look right into your audience's eyes and sing right to them. You will give them a feeling they will never forget, and they will follow you for the rest of your career if you do it right!

Want to see what Im talking about? Check out a perfect example of this teaching philosophy in action as Livingston plays his original "Life is Good".



So this is where Im trying to get to and its going to be a while. I have been drilling away at fingerpicking etudes and songs much like this one, so in the next months Im looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!