Total Pageviews

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Song for Ingrid Michaelson

So remember when I said I would write a song for Ingrid Michaelson? Well Im finally finished and I going to let you see the lyrics before I officially record it. Its called "Looking Up". It's my "shot in the dark but I'm still wishing to meet you" song.
Feel free to throw your two cents in, although Im unlikely to change anything about it since I went through about 5 drafts and Im quite happy with the way it sounds, musically and lyrically, I always like to hear feedback. Think Nick Drake, Paulo Nutini, and of course Ingrid. Simple pretty, diatonic finger-picking pattern style playing with soft mid-range vocals and earnest tone.

"Looking Up"

(verse, verse, refrain, verse, refrain, bridge, verse, refrain)

I can’t seem to find a good beginning
That plays as well as the reel my head’s been spinning
But I figured I
At least should try

You might think I am just a little crazy
Or I’m long lost in a sea of reverie
So I’ll just say
Please come my way

I’ve been looking up
Waiting for the chance to come

Maybe we could go out for a coffee
And we could trade a few funny stories
And then from there
Who knows where

I’ve been looking up
Waiting for the chance to come

If you are weary of my intentions
And I won’t ever win your time or your affection
Just tell me I’m looking in the wrong direction
So I can get this crick out of my neck

Til’ then I’ll be holding onto my wishes
Dreaming that the sound of all your kisses
In sweet array
Will gently say

I’ve been looking up
Waiting for the chance to come


(painting by Jim Thalassoudis)

So there it is. Im realizing as iI look at the lyrics more and more this can pretty be used for any two people, so it will be open up to a wider range of listeners who are looking up as well. Since you dont know what the music sounds like I'm interested in how what you expect will differ from what I've written. Hope you enjoy it and again, feel free to let me know what you think. It's one of about 6-8 songs Im going to try and get recorded and put on a new, entirely acoustic album. And Ingrid Michaelson, although your probably never going to read this, Ill be looking up.

2 comments:

  1. wow, i really am not one for poetry. i need to hear the song before hand, but keep sending me this stuff because its good for me to analyze this kinda stuff. sorry i couldn't be more help.
    the wheats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    I think you have finally found a woman that inspires you enough to jump through hoops for her. I hope you get to meet her!! She'd be a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here!