Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 25, 2010

With Endway at Hula's

A burly doorman half sits on a stool, arms crossed. Scattered patrons shuffle to and from the bar. The cash register jingles with the first sales of the night. All of this barely visible from the stage lights, but the venue is still pretty quiet. I walk up center stage and take my weathered Martin off the stand. The microphones sit comfortably nestled above the hastily painted black stage, which is garnished with a garden of quarter in cables and dull black chords. Like water through a crack in a dam, the people quietly trickle in as I plug in my Martin and begin to strum and pluck and stomp. A few of my friends come up and stand in a circle near the front and seem to be enjoying themselves, reassuring my secretly self-questioning presence on stage.



After I somber off to chat with all my friends who came out, I hear Endway begin. A perfect volume AND mix; something that the majority of bands I have heard live do not even consider. They are smooth and extremely well rehearsed, a definite must- hear band. With a driving rock ambience, at times anthemic, these guys know how to rock and play and work a crowd.

Aside from the sound guys not showing up to set us up or the DJ plugging his equipment into my mixer mid-set and distorting a couple of my songs and cutting me off from announcing Endway, it was a very good night. Morgan from Endway was actually very good with the mixing board as well as singing and playing guitar and playing the perfect frontman for the show. Kevin is a great guitar slinger, extremely clean and has good balance of taste and rock flair while playing. Scott and Chris were locked all night and were a perfect blend of extra energy and backbone. They all play great together, I suggest checking out their stuff:

ENDWAY

People of the night:

Dean - thanks for running the music stand! I hope to be seeing you again at a future show, maybe at the Duck once again, I hope you enjoyed all the tunes man!

Sarah - you were great to talk to, I really enjoyed it, I hope you find yourself adventuring out of Towson more and more, talking to you was inspirational you have instilled me with a reservoir of confidence in my music. Thank you!!

Alicia and Rene - Im glad I got to see you last night, its been a long time! You two seem like such a well balanced couple and a good team. No drama, just smiles and stories. I hope Ill be seeing more of the both of you, and I hope you enjoy the CD! There will be many more to come. And yes I am now looking forward to going on a cruise sometime, well not real soon, but eventually. I just have to find one with a rock wall.

Candice - What need I say? You are always so fun to hang out with. You need to visit more. Goat abortions and Barrack Obama just don't have the same comedic value unless you are there to laugh and chime in....and then help me find my car keys that are actually in my backpack.

Sean and Josh - your sexy dances were the only thing that kept me alive in a time of tribulation. I sincerely thank you guys for being the ideal audience members that every stage performer wishes for. And for being hilarious, too.

Thank you to everyone who showed up, and Scott for inviting me to play with such a good Boston band!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!