Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Expanding the Repertoire

I knew this day would come eventually. General rule of thumb that one of Berklee professors told my class was that ANY artist seeking to have a solid repertoire and grasp of classic songwriting should have 250 songs in the bag. I do not have 250 songs. Probably about 45 (and that's counting originals). They have gotten me to this point in my career, but its not cutting it anymore. It's time to add some more variety. So what songs am I going to be getting under my fingers?
Here are some that I am really looking forward to learning:

The Beatles:
All You Need is Love, Blackbird

Springsteen:
Dancing in the Dark, Im on Fire

Sublime:
What I Got

Norah Jones:
Sunrise

Sara Bareillis:
Love Song

U2:
Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You

Matchbox 20:
3A.M.

Sheryl Crow:
All I Wanna do is Have Some Fun, Favorite Mistake

Lucinda Williams:
Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

Paula Abdul:
Straight Up

Regina Spektor:
Fidelity

This will be one whole other set worth of music....but I have about 20 more full sets to learn! So what am I going to learn? Tell me! Leave a comment and let me know what songs you would like to cover! Tell me what you think of the covers I listed, too!

Dylan

10 comments:

  1. Many the Miles - Sara Bareillis (can never spell her name)

    Loving you - Paolo Nutini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change the Locks - Lucinda Williams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tenderness on the Block written by Springsteen and Zevon on Warren Zevon's Debut Album .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience -Guns N Roses

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet jane--velvet underground

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your choices are awesome. I enjoy pretty much every single one.

    I'd love to see something else from Matchbox like Push. that's my jam =P
    and maybe Rob's new solo stuff? Her Diamonds?

    I'm absolutely in love with the fact that you're covering Regina Spektor <3



    My Suggestions:

    Rock Lobster by The B52's! (HAHA Just kidding!)

    Seriously, though. The songs I would personally love to hear you sing:

    I don't know how well they would work acoustically but the songs I really wanna hear you do by the Beatles are
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps, You Never Give Me Your Money, and Dear Prudence. :)

    This one's super narcissistic but Amanda by Boston hahahaha

    The Mix Tape by Brand New (that would be epic, I think your voice would be amazing on that.)

    Never Say Never by The Fray

    A Lifetime by Better Than Ezra

    Follow You Down by Gin Blossoms (so I'm secretly a 90s nerd)

    The Mixed Tape by Jack's Mannequin

    Any John Mayer song ever.
    Mostly:
    Perfectly Lonely*
    Who Says?
    Bold as Love
    My Stupid Mouth

    * would be EPIC!

    Falling in Love in a Coffee Shop by Landon Pigg (I would go awwwh the whole time. lol)

    Happy Ending by Mika

    Through Glass by Stone Sour (perhaps it's not the best song ever but I think it would be really pretty acoustic.)

    She's So High by Tal Bachman (More of my 90s nerd lol)

    Slideshow by This Day & Age

    throwin it out there (you knew this was coming) Sometime Around Midnight by the Airborne Toxic Event (lol)

    and [finally]
    Find A Way by the Used
    or Smother Me by the Used (I'm prepared to be judged for those.) haha!



    everyone else's suggestions were rad. especially velvet underground! yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, now we're talking. This is great stuff, Im going to get to work on a lot of these, and let you all know when I make a dent in this list. Im looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An acoustic set or some filler "sans vocals" similar to what you were playing at the Memorial Day cookout.....the best guitfiddle stuff I hear is when you and Max are tinkering and not thinking.....just playing for the joy of playing.....arpeggios, legatos, scales, etc, played by you yougnsters...said Uncle Guitar Builder

    ReplyDelete
  9. remembering sunday by all time low

    lullaby by the cure

    connect the dots by spill canvas

    all over you by spill canvas

    valiant by spill canvas

    the tide by spill canvas

    anything by spill canvas (are you seeing a theme here/ i think you can do them justice)

    hey jealousy by gin blossoms

    swallow by bush

    mouth by bush

    colorblind by counting crows

    the way i am by jennifer knapp (dude trust me)

    blue and yellow by the used

    ima stop before i get carried away, if i havent already

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH YEAH! Spill Canvas <3
    you could so rock that, Dylan.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here!